- 1 in 10 children nationally has experienced 3 or more ACEs. That’s a bit more than 7 millions children whose likelihood of depression, suicidal tendency, substance abuse, heart disease, violent tendency… increase significantly.
- Developmental disabilities like autism, ADHD, Cerebral Palsy, Down Syndrome… also contribute to childhood traumas.
How expressive art could help kids with high ACEs score.
- “It is so difficult to put the complexities of the trauma recovery process into words—artwork does this much better!” – Joan Turkus, M.D.
- Art has been used successfully as a form of therapy because art helps kids unmask the traumas buried in the subconscious minds. “Drawing makes me feel better,” Xavier said. “When I’m mad, I draw my anger, and I just get happy.”
- When kids with high ACEs score get help early on, there will be fewer crimes affecting us, fewer unnecessary tragic deaths from drunk driving accidents, fewer unwanted children born from teen pregnancy-which contribute to more traumatic experiences & predispose the children to traumatic lives, less financial burden on society from illnesses resulting from trauma like heart disease, suicide attempt, depression…